Matt M. BlankenshipM.D. Request An Appointment
Matt Blankenship, MD became interested in medicine at a young age, growing up as the son of a urologist in Enid, OK. He chose to specialize in gastroenterology because it involves direct patient care and offers a good balance between the clinic, acute care in the hospital, and procedures.
He attended the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, where he earned his MD and completed a residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in gastroenterology. While at OU, Dr. Blankenship was admitted to Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical honor society.
Dr. Blankenship joined Adult Gastroenterology Associates in Tulsa in 2007. He says, “The digestive system is complicated, and there is often a lot of interplay between physical organic GI problems and the brain and nervous system. We really must treat the entire patient. In gastroenterology, we don’t always have a perfect ‘slam dunk’ answer to every problem, and I know that this can sometimes be frustrating. But when we work closely with patients, we can evaluate for and (we hope) rule out serious and life-threatening problems, establish a diagnosis, control symptoms, and ensure that each patient enjoys the highest quality of life possible. That is my goal.”
Dr. Blankenship is board certified in gastroenterology. He has a broad practice in general gastroenterology, with a special interest in colon cancer prevention, reflux and other esophageal diseases, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and other functional GI disorders.
In his spare time, Dr. Blankenship enjoys coaching youth basketball and spending time with his family. He also loves reading, and he has wide interests in history, literature, culture, science, and the world of ideas.
- BA, University of Oklahoma, 1997
- Enid High School, 1993
- OU College of Medicine: Gastroenterology Fellow 2004-2007
- OU College of Medicine—Tulsa: Internal Medicine Resident 2001-2004
- OU College of Medicine: Doctor of Medicine (with distinction) 1997-2001
Memberships, Awards, and Affiliations
- Arkansas-Oklahoma Endoscopic Society: President 2017-19; Vice President 2015-17
- Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology
- Richard Harty Award as Outstanding Fellow in Gastroenterology, 2004
- Richard A. Marshall Award as Outstanding Internal Medicine Resident, 2004
- Crimson Apple Award for Outstanding Teaching at OU College of Medicine, 2004
- Medical Book Award, given to outstanding medical students, 2001
Practice Website: adultgastro.com