Kevin McNamara, MD was encouraged to become a doctor by his 4th-grade teacher, who observed his compassion toward friends and classmates. He was also drawn to math and science in school, so medicine seemed like a good fit. He chose gastroenterology as his subspecialty because the field offers so much diversity. When he looks back at that deciding moment, Dr. McNamara reflects, “Gastroenterology is never mundane. Every day is something different.”
Dr. McNamara graduated from the University of Notre Dame with an undergraduate degree in Anthropology/Pre-Professional studies and attended medical school at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center in San Antonio, followed by a fellowship in Gastroenterology at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City.
Dr. McNamara has a broad interest in the field of gastroenterology which includes colorectal cancer prevention, liver disease, hepatitis C therapy, inflammatory bowel disease, and reflux disease. As a physician of Adult Gastroenterology Associates, he is proud of the partnership’s dedication to high-quality, low-cost care and patient satisfaction.
Dr. McNamara’s fascination with gastroenterology continues as he watches the field evolve and advance in so many areas including, the treatment of hepatitis C and inflammatory bowel disease.
When he’s not working, Dr. McNamara likes to play golf and go running. He has won competitive golf tournaments, and he ran a marathon during his gastroenterology fellowship.
I am more of an educator and a coach than anything else. I enjoy the opportunity to help my patients understand what they are experiencing. Knowledge is power.– Kevin McNamara, MD Adult Gastroenterology Associates, Tulsa, OK
Education, Memberships, Awards, and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology & Pre-professional studies: University of Notre Dame – South Bend, IN
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Oklahoma – Oklahoma City, OK
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine: University of Texas Health Sciences Center – San Antonio, TX
- Fellowship in Gastroenterology: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center – Oklahoma City, OK
- Received Excellence in Clinical Geriatrics Award during Internal Medicine residency at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center in San Antonio
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Medical Association